For those who celebrate Christmas, and those subject to its mass commercialization, carols flood the airwaves on every radio station and in every store. Back in the day when I use to work at Barnes & Noble, I would dread the day after Thanksgiving. Yes, it was the hell hole known as Black Friday, but it was also the start of constant Christmas carols being played overhead. They’d repeat so much that it would eventually turn into white noise… until a new CD was put into the system, and then the torture would begin all over again. And this isn’t to say I don’t like Christmas carols, I do. But please save me from hearing them everywhere.
However, as I was cruising the interwebs this morning, I came across some carols with a minor twist. Chase Holfeder is a singer on YouTube who in addition to his own work, offers covers of various songs, and most interestingly, minor covers of major key songs. I actually first heard his minor key Star Spangled Banner just after he started his channel and was immediately entranced. I played the clarinet in middle and high school… very badly, and i never had any interest (or talent) in music theory, so I had no idea that changing the key of a song would have such an effect. But boy does it, especially when applied to normally cheery Christmas songs.
Collaborating with fellow YouTuber Kurt Hugo Schneider, Chase has given us a creepy All I Want From Christmas Is You that is equal parts melancholy as it is rocking.
Last year he covered Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas in an equally creeptastic fashion, and it’s just begging to be used for a horror Christmas film. Those things exist, yeah?
You can check out more of Chase’s work on his YouTube Channel .
Ironically, the last time I did one of these 5 Fandom Friday posts (created by my friend Megan at The Nerdy Girlie) was around this exact time last year. And it’s pretty much on the same topic. One day I’ll do these weekly. But for now tis the holiday season, and as such, here is another nerdy wishlist from yours truly!
- こたつ! Kotatsu! I’m cheating a little because I know I’m getting one (that you Mommy!!!), but this traditional heated Japanese table is the number one thing on my wishlist for the past six years… basically ever since I had to leave mine behind in Japan. It’s a table with a heater under it, and you put a blanket between the heater and the table top and then you find nirvana. It’s the coziest and happiest place on earth, and when you live in a basement apartment like yours truly, it’s a must in the winter. If you’d like more of an explanation and history of the こたつ you can check out this adorable video.
2. I can’t drink wine. I’m either allergic or very intolerant to tannins in addition to having an alcohol intolerance to most of the world’s adult beverages (it’s a sad and very long story), but I love this glass. I spied it on Your Joyologist and just fell in love. I try to challenge myself daily, to do the scary or the crazy thing. So this mantra is something I both live by and need to hear ever so often when I get cold feet. Plus it’s classy as fuck.
3. Gudetama!!!!! The lazy egg from Sanrio is the cutest and weirdest thing. When I was in Japan in September I discovered him with help to one of my former students. It was love at first sight and I now own quite an array of Gudetama merchandise. I don’t know what it is about him, but he gives me life. I only have a few Pop! and Funko figurines, but he needs to join them. He had a series of shorts thanks to Sanrio on YouTube. They’re all delightfully odd.
4. Nug Plush! If you’ve spent any time here, especially on my twitter, you know I’m obsessed with Dragon Age. Nugs are the cure little wrinkly rabbit-like things that parade all over the place. I seem to have a thing for odd yet cute things… hmmm. I can’t have a real Nug of my own, but I can get myself a fuzzy plushy one from the BioWare store.
5. Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR (Canon) A repeat from last year because one day I’ll be able to afford a nice camera again, and when I do, it’ll be from the Canon Rebel line… because they’re the best. Fight me.
What’s on your nerdy Christmas list??
It’s been a bit of a week from not feeling well to being really busy to re-evaluating my entire life. It’s something about the holiday season, isn’t it? The year is ending and it seems the perfect time to change everything, to start a new. I’ve never been a fan of new year’s resolutions because it’s just a gimmick isn’t it? No one really keeps them, it’s just an excuse to say, sure, I’ll maybe think about changing this aspect of my life. But we just stick with it for a week or two and then it slips from our mind because life takes control again.
Now that I’ve made you all depressed, here are some holiday movies that I cannot do without at Christmas time. And yes, they’re as cliche as it gets. That’s what the holidays are for after all.
Continue reading 5 Fandom Friday: My Favorite Holiday Movies
So my super awesome friend ( and co-SherlockeDCC host) Megan runs The Nerdy Girlie, and a number of weeks ago she started 5 Fandom Friday, where geek blogs all over would post weekly about a pre-determined topic and share their thoughts on said topic. It’s a great idea and I’ve been meaning to jump on board for awhile, but I’ve finally gotten my act together! Call it the holiday spirit ;)
So! This week is all about what nerdy Christmas gifts we want and here are my deepest geekiest desires this holiday season. My mom just bought a house, so Christmas this year is a bit different (we’re doing a family Secret Santa), so none of this is going to happen, but it’s still fun to “window shop” as it were.
1. Hey Buddy tote bag (RedBubble). God I love tote bags. My friend Cara McGee has created an entire line of dumb sharks and they’re just hilarious. I really do need to pick one of these up!
2. ALL THE DRAGON AGE BOOKS (Amazon)! I picked up the Dragon Age Inquisition art book and it’s GORGEOUS. It’s just phenomenal to look at the depth of detail BioWare put into the world building and careful considerations of every single character. I am a recent and hard-hit Dragon Age convert and I tend to submerse myself in new found obsessions. Bring it on.
3. TARDIS bathrobe (ThinkGeek). Because who DOESN’T want to travel all of time in space in a fuzzy bathrobe? Sadly it doesn’t come with a Peter Capaldi.
4. Wake Up Light Alarm Clock (Philips). I live in the basement where it is dark and cozy and no matter what I do, my phone’s multiple alarms just aren’t getting me out of bed. The bright light suddenly blinds me and I cocoon back up. I’ve heard a lot of great things about these natural light alarm clock that gradually lighten up the room to wake you up easier. I think it’d really work for me and for the other night owls out there.
5. Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR (Canon) Ah. The biggie. I could be even more ridiculous and ask for the $1500 model, but let’s be a LITTLE realistic, eh? My manual SLR was stole a few years ago when my flat was broken into and ever since I’ve been without a real camera. I’ve got a point and shoot, but it’s from my time in Japan (five years ago now) and the focus has been gone for about a year and it doesn’t really… work. I love the Canon line of cameras and my SLR was an EOS Rebel. Some form of DSLR has been on my wishlist for years. One day.
Well, that’s my list for today! You can read Megan’s here and learn all about 5 Fandom Friday! Join on in! What’s your nerdy Christmas list?